Behavioral Science & Research
The Science That Drives Behavior Change
Instead of just talking about behavior change, we create science-driven solutions that get at the heart of what truly drives change in individuals and large-scale populations.
- Our proprietary 4.2-million member behavioral database gives us access to invaluable insights into why people behave the way they do and what truly inspires change.
- We conduct deep end-user research, interviewing customers and end-users about their attitudes, beliefs, and goals around their health, and then use this real-world experience to inform and strengthen our solutions.
- We employ 14 different cross-disciplinary Behavioral science models and are able to collect extensive data through our rigorous research methodologies to continuously improve and customize our offerings.
By understanding what truly motivates people to change and what potentially holds them back, we are able to create highly focused and effective Behavioral science-based solutions, proven to help real people in the real world take meaningful steps towards accomplishing their goals.
The Population Health Challenge
A New Model of the Health Continuum: The Avalanche
Traditional healthcare solutions that focus primarily on illness ignore the benefits of intervening earlier in the spectrum of health, during the precondition phase. With effective lifestyle interventions like digital health coaching, preconditions like pre-diabetes can be reversed, allowing people to avoid or delay developing chronic disease and the resulting avalanche of deteriorating health and high medical costs. We call this the Avalanche Model of population health.
Stages In the Avalanche
- The individual begins at the top of the hill with few health concerns.
- Over time, if the individual leads an unhealthy lifestyle, he or she may develop pre-conditions and risk factors.
- The individual eventually reaches a tipping point, at which time those pre-conditions may lead to chronic illness.
- Once past the tipping point, the individual’s health begins to deteriorate at a faster rate as co-morbidities accumulate, making it both more difficult and expensive to reverse or manage their health issues.
So, how do we inspire individuals to change course before they reach the tipping point? We offer holistic health solutions which treat the whole individual and the whole population, and we empower individuals to discover the intrinsic motivation they need to make healthy changes in the way they live.
As the above chart illustrates, according to this model, individuals who feel empowered and in control of their health, may be more likely to engage in – and sustain – healthy behavior change. For example, participants who created a highly personalized mission statement connected to their health goals reported a higher quality of life* versus those who use a less-personalized mission statement provided to them by the program—powerful validation for a truly personalized, mission-driven approach to changing behavior.**
*Reporting Very Good or Excellent
** N = 1,809 , Johnson & Johnson Health and Wellness Solutions Internal Database
The Proof of Positive Change
Our focus on groundbreaking behavior science methods, models, and solutions has led to inspiring results. In an eight-year study of participants in health and wellness programs at a large health plan, we saw long-term positive results in return on investment (ROI) over the course of the study. While ROI spiked the first year, it continued to demonstrate positive returns, averaging 1.74 throughout the entire eight years. That means for every $1 invested, the organization saw a return of $1.74.
© Johnson & Johnson Health and Wellness Solutions, Inc. 2015 | New Brunswick NJ, USA. All rights reserved.
This site is published by Johnson & Johnson Health and Wellness Solutions, Inc. which is solely responsible for its contents. It is intended for visitors from the USA.
This site contains links to websites to which our Privacy Statement does not apply. We encourage you to read the privacy statement of every website you visit.